Gone Sailing


You may have realized that its been a while since I've posted last. There is a reason they call this time of year silly season; intense heat, vacations, football transfers, girlfriends moving in, etc. As it so happens I may be leaving this blog dead for a couple weeks as I enjoy some time at a real beach and I'm not one bit sorry for that! To make up for my absence a little bit I'll break away from my format of posting a single photograph and I'll grace you with a set! You can ooh and aah now.


My friend and former sailing instructor, who is now una Capitana (congrats Darci!), invited my neighbor and myself out for an afternoon sailing trip this last Friday so naturally I brought the camera out to test some more of the ND filter and my comfort using the camera under conditions that aren't prime for electronics.


The weather on the day was blistering hot and windy enough to almost lock us down at bay, but eventually the gust subsided to a point that was safe for us to go out. It did make for a very interesting ride and a somewhat difficult situation in which to shoot with the boat keeling and ocean spray flying everywhere.


An interesting factor I found from this trip of shooting was combining the sprawling distant landscape with the action and presence of objects that are in my immediate. There are so many lines (and sheets ;) involved with sailing that you can cut some really intriguing compositions. 


Brian is the guy on the left, he's my neighbor and an all around good natured dude. We took the sailing class together last year at the Manhattan Sailing School which is how we met Darci. Really great experience that I highly recommend!


A little gay rum is always a good thing, but sadly not allowed when you're on the water!


The Hudson River is ludicrously busy between sea taxis, resort cruises, harbor police, tug boats, sail boats, yachts, barges, and deep sea tankers. I only take photos of the pretty ones!


I'll admit, after a while I do get a little sea sick, especially as choppy as it was. The 100+ degree weather probably didn't help any either. 


We were out for only a few hours, but it was a thoroughly enjoying (and tiring!) trip. My x100s did get a little wet, but didn't seem to mind and while it was difficult getting the photographs I wanted while trying to keep my wits about me (watch out for that boom!) it was really good practice all the same. I strongly encourage you photographers to take your camera into a situation that is a little harrowing to really hone those instinctual reactions and control.


And one last shout out to the beautiful and disgusting Hudson River, few things can be labeled both.


*end of message*

0 comments: