Hang 'em high


Ten whole days without posting anything? For shame! I don't even have a valid excuse to present to you, my five readers, outside that I've not had any landscape photographs. All my images are taken in a portrait orientation I've noticed. I have material, but I felt it would present a visual offense in pattern, so I've waited until I had something to break it. One of my latest hobbies has been torturing plants, hanging them bottoms up. I think it can be visually attractive and beneficial for the organism involved given that an appropriate match is made (orchids or vine plants mostly). Luckily for me, my buddy Ben, whom you have become acquainted with, was in a mood to be convinced to undertake a rather expensive project. A bit of whiskey and dirt later and this is the beginning of a new end-over-end garden. I'm quite proud of the result.

*end of message*

3 comments:

  1. Do they turn around to grow upwards when they are hung upside down?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The vine plants will initially attempt to grow upwards, though their weight keeps them going down. The spider plants will grow horizontally and the roots will get a little confused, but they will thrive and continue to drop spiderettes. In regards to Orchids, phalaenopsis will grow their leafs downward and the spikes will grow horizontal, Oncidiums will grow their pods every which way and even externally, spikes will grow vertically upward. I train my Orchid spikes to grow downward however.

    You water them with a terracotta reservoir at the top of the pot. It will slowly keep the soil moist as the roots demand it.

    ReplyDelete